Saturday, November 21, 2009

Music: Melodies + Memories, pt. 2

*Spoiler alert for those who haven't seen Ray Davies on tour yet!*

My expectations couldn't have been more incorrect last week because last night's set list at the Ray Davies' show was a huge surprise. What a phenomenal show! The evening started with Ray and his collaborator playing an acoustic set that included some oldies but goodies. After a brief intermission, he continued the show with a great backing band and started rocking Town Hall. But the highlight of the evening was definitely the 24 member choir joining him on stage for the rearranged Kinks' tunes.

The first song sung with the choir was "Shangri-La." Although it has never been one of my favorites, it truly blew me away. The beauty of the 24 backing voices was overwhelming and it suited the song perfectly. "Victoria" was also fantastic and got everyone on their feet.

The songs of "Village Green Preservation Society" are also perfectly suited to the new choral arrangements and what a set they did! Not only did they play "Johnny Thunder", "Days", "The Village Green Preservation Society", "Picture Book", "Big Sky", and "Village Green", but they also played "Do You Remember Walter?" - fantastic! This exceeded my wildest expectations. This album, released on November 10th, is most definitely on my Christmas list.

It was a tie for best song of the evening: "Lola" or "Waterloo Sunset" - two songs that couldn't be more different. But I'd have to say "Waterloo Sunset" edges it out due to its sheer beauty. Dave had put this song on a mini-disk (ha!) he made for me when I moved to London; therefore, it will always hold special memories for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment