Saturday, November 21, 2009

Music: Melodies + Memories

I can't remember the last time I sat down to write and not test a web site or log tech bugs, so am thrilled to sit and do nothing at this moment but write while listening to one of my favorite albums.

Dave has rigged up an amazing AV system in our house which allows me to access hundreds of movies and 700+ CDs without moving from the couch, yet I turn on the same CD all the time: The Kinks' 'Village Green Preservation Society'. It is my background music for everything I do in or outside of my home - cooking, cleaning, gardening, tanning, working. What is it that keeps drawing me to this album? It is literally driving Dave crazy that it is always the first CD I ask him to put on when he has worked tirelessly to catalog our huge music collection.

Three songs in particular make me smile and/or cry:
1. Do You Remember Walter?
What a fantastic song reminiscing about childhood, times when things were easier and finding lost friends. Oh how Facebook has killed the mystery of waxing nostalgiac about lost friends and where they are now, since you can now find everyone you've ever known and no longer have to wonder how they have changed. It's almost as if I love this song because it makes me think of my childhood in a charming British village; funny, since I grew up in suburban NJ. Actually, a psychic in Trafalgar Square once read my aura as I soaked in the sights + sounds of London after an extended absence and told me I led a previous life in England. I don't believe in psychics or auras, but the thought of that possibility definitely made me smile and would explain a lot.



















2. Animal Farm
Upon first seeing the title of this song, I thought of one of my top 5 books - Orwell's 'Animal Farm'. Not such a far-fetched concept since David Bowie had once tried to write a concept album based on Orwell's '1984' but was not given the permission to do so. '1984' and 'Big Brother' are amazing songs, but I digress. I love this song even though I'm not keen on animals or farms, it's just sweet and fun. It also brings back great memories of taking an illicit long lunch from Art Ren with Mike + Gregg to see Ray Davies speak at J&R Music World. Gregg was so shocked that I knew, let alone loved, this song.

3. Days -
This may actually be an extra track on this extended version CD and one of the most beautiful songs ever written. I probably listened to it a hundred times before realizing its true beauty. It took Bob Geldof talking about it on a Ray Davies rockumentary to make me give it another listen. I've also seen clips of it being performed live back in the day and now have this lovely image of Ray in his big purple shades and shaggy hair singing this while tickling the ivories.

We're seeing Ray Davies perform at Town Hall in NYC on Friday night and I know that, just like last time we went to see him, I'll wish for more songs to be played from this album and it won't happen but the show will still be great. He did sing 'Days' last time, so a girl can dream. I'll get to hear my favorites in other ways - like putting this CD on for the zillionth time next Saturday or watching 'Hot Fuzz' again. What a great soundtrack that movie has, but I digress yet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment